Hey there cupcake!

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Key lime pie cupcakes

Woweeee
I decided to go a little crazy (and make use of the left over limes we bought for our coronas) and experiment..
The key lime pie cupcake was born.
I've seen various people around the net mention these, but I decided to wing the recipe myself.
I love lime, but the adage- 'Too much of a good thing' definately applies with lime..
SO-
-Old faithful Magnolia vanilla cupcake base
-A batch of lime curd
-A batch of vanilla buttercream tinted a pretty, shade of pale lime
-Tonnes of tiny meringue rosettes, set under the broiler.
Last night, in fits of exctasy, I moaned- 'This is the best cupcake I've ever eaten!'..
The lime curd popped out in a joyful, gooey explosion.
The vanilla was the perfect base choice, as it's 'plain-ness' balanced out the flavour-full curd, and it's tart tang as well.
For me- the buttercream was really important in the taste and texture of the cupcake though..
Admittedly, the cakes would even be tasty without the meringue topping- but it does look pretty, and fulfil the key lime pie criteria..
Transferring the rosettes from baking paper to cupcake top, was VERY difficult though..
As desired, the meringue was still goeey in side, the force of removing the rosettes, often made the edges crumble in- ruining the pretty rosette structure..
Perhaps with a culinary blow torch, if the meringue compleletey covered the buttercream- I could alievate these problems..
Overall- delicious!
Cupcake tester J is not a lime person, still she rather enjoyed the experience..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home