Hey there cupcake!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Vegan & Sugar Free Chocolate & Vanilla Cupcakes


I used Fran Costigan's great book: "Great, Good Desserts, Naturally!" for inspiration.
I began by adapting her "Chocolate Cake to Live for" recipe..
I wanted a vegan red velvet cake. I know you can buy vegan red food colouring, but I wanted to try an au natural alternative- with the much touted, beet(root) juice..
I substituted 1/2 the soy milk, with beet juice.
The tops of the cupcakes turned a nice raspberry brown colour, but the cake, was plain ol' brown..
For the cake I used barley malt syrup and maple syrup as sweeteners.
The cake was ok, but not the best.
The texture was great, especially for a dairy & egg free cake, but overall it was not chocolatey enough for my liking.
I attempted Frans basic tofu buttercream frosting.
I should have followed it to the letter-
Who the hell did I think I was, experimenting on this front!?
I paid dearly.
The results were interesting, and made me realise I could make my own yummy vegan fruit jello cups now..
But so far as frosting- Not even close..
So to redeem the cakes, I fell back on the usual vanilla buttercream.
The photo is terrible because it was all I could manage, in between being frosted, and whisked off with K, to his work.

1 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can anyone please tell me where can I get vegan/vegetarian food colourings?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home