Hey there cupcake!

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Carrot, Macadamia & Coconut Cupcakes


I wanted something a little different this week, as I pondered my cupcake options.
Maybe it's not true, but sometimes it feels like everything is only ever, a variation of chocolate or vanilla cake.
So, I went again, to "Vegan with a Vengeance", and pulled out Isas' Carrot, Macadamia, Ginger & Coconut Cake recipe.
I was excited to use the preserved ginger gummy bears (yes gummy bears!!) I was given, but was very sad to discover, they contained gelatine :(
So, out went the ginger, the sugar (hello apple juice concentrate), and some of the canola oil (hello applesauce)..
I still had a small amount of delicious Hawaiian macadamia nuts left, and happily used them..
For the frosting, I made the usual buttercream frosting, adding some vanilla & coconut essence.
The cupcakes once frosted, were topped with some dessicated coconut.
These were DELICIOUS..
I seem to say that a lot. But really, they were.
Ever since I nixed the sugar, my husbands sweet glee has lessened..
He grew up, in the good ol' sweet tooth American way, and he likes his sugar.
Now he eats 1 or 2 cupcakes, before it was as many as I baked.
That aside, he said he liked these.
My Mum gave them 4 stars, and my therapist said they were "dee-lish-ous" (yes I eat cupcakes with my therapist)..
So, I think these will become one of my staples.
I think I'll stick to making them, sans ginger though.
YUM YUM YUM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home