Hey there cupcake!

Monday, June 05, 2006

Vegan Fauxtess Cupcakes

I was so excited to find a copy of "Vegan with a Vengence" in one of my favourite book stores, 2nd hand section, last week..
Of course, I bought it right away!
I have long been eyeing off other net goers photos, of VWA's take on the American classic- Hostess Cupcakes..
Although it's going to be a big cupcake week, it's been so long since I last baked cupcakes, and I just couldn't wait any longer..
To cut down on the fat, I replaced the vast majority of canola oil, with prune puree.
I also subsituted the small amount of sugar, with apple juice concentrate.
Sadly the cakes came out rather rubbery, and lacking any real flavour or body :(
(I blame the least loveable ingredient- prune puree)
The fluffy white vanilla filling though (definitely not low fat), made with vegetable shortening, and margarine, was delicious.
I decided to make really big filling holes in the cupcakes, to try to balance out the blandness of the cakes.
The cupcakes were then dipped in a dark chocolate and soy milk ganache.

The traditional topping, is a squiggle of royal icing, however I didn't have soy milk powder, so my icing came out an unappetizing beige.
I decided to forgo the signature squiggle, and top with yet more fluffy white filling!
I just sampled 1/2 a complete and cooled cupcake-
Can you say: YUM!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home