Hey there cupcake!

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Apple & Dried Fruit Cupcakes with Orange & Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

Dear Melika, from Flickr sent me some chick peeps in the mail yesterday..
Delighted by their sunshine yellow appearance, I started scheming up potential cupcake ideas..
Sadly (still on the natural sweetener kick) I only had apple juice concentrate.
I didn't think marshmallow would be a good buddy with apple, so put the peeps away for another day..
Friends of apples:
*cinnamon *pear *rhubarb *raisins *orange peel *oats *ginger
SO-
Raisins & dried orange peel, pre-soaked in hot water & maple syrup, stirred through an apple batter.
The batter was given a slight apple edge, with the use of the juice concentrate (instead of sugar) and apple sauce (to lower the fat content).
The cakes had a nice texture, but could have been a little more moist (maybe more apple sauce?)..
The frosting used confectioners sugar and partially hydrogenated margarine.
In place of milk, I used orange juice, and added some orange essence for an extra boost.
I also sprinkled in some cinnamon, and a dash of vanilla essence.
All in all- delicious!
My sampler mother said they were the best so far..
My non fruity-loving husband, said they were good, but not his thing..
A real nice autumnal cupcake :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home