Hey there cupcake!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Soc-a-roos Soc-Soc-a-roos


Sono italo-australiana.
Australia has not been in the World Cup (in my life time), and so, I've always cheered on the Azzurris.
This year, and whaddaya know-
Australia qualifies, makes it out of the first pool, and meets Italy at the quarter-final entry game.
And so, I baked cupcakes.
Blue for the Azzurris, and green & gold for the Socceroos.
My cupcake prediction was right on the money.
I made an even amount of batter, yet the Azzurri batter, yielded just one more cupcake than the Socceroos.
1:0
The Azzurri cupcakes used a sicilian cake recipe I found, and altered.
They were orange & almond cupcakes with orange buttercream frosting.
I basically followed VWaV's "Lemon Gems" cake recipe-
Substituting orange juice & rind, for lemon.
I also substituted some of the plain flour, with almond meal, and added some almond essence.
The canola oil was halved and compensated for, by the addition of apple sauce, and the sugar was substituted with apple juice concentrate & maple syrup.
I also added one egg into the mix (while VWaV recipes never use eggs).
The Australian Socceroos cupcakes were virtually the same, except they adhered to the lemony rules of the "Lemon Gems", and were finished with lemon buttercream frosting.
Their lemony-ness AND Australian-ness was heightened by the addition, of the Australian native herb- Lemon myrtle.
Last night, at 1am, while watching the game live, I appropriately ate 1/2 an Azzuri, and 1/2 a Socceroo.
They were deliciously light and fluffy, and infact the perfect midnight snack, as they weren't too flavourful, heavy or sweet- just right!

As fate would have it, it was my closet-crush of days gone by, scored the winning goal- Mr Francesco Totti..
A win for me either way, but still, I can't help wishing the Socceroos had won..

4 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger Sally Veganini said...

Thanks a lot Rebekka! :)
I was quite chuffed (and surprised!) with how well the piping turned out..

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Your cupcakes always look so good! I've been baking vegan myself lately, and I'm curious about your substitution of apple juice concentrate for sugar. How do you compensate for the dry ingredient aspect? That's been my puzzle, so any tips are much appreciated!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Sally Veganini said...

Hi Kate,
Thanks for the kind comments.
Dare I say, I usually don't! :)

I am a bad recipe follower- and actually my cooking/baking is generally all the better for it-
Except it's hard to replicate results!!

I pretty much have the basic cupcake thing down now, so I know about how much flour, how much milk etc etc..
It's all done by feel- and the look of the batter as it comes together..
Often lately I haven't been adding any milk though- so maybe that's the best answer I can give - don't add milk ??? Or add a little more flour..

It is something to get used to-
Not mixing up eggs, butter and sugar- the consistency is very different, but usually they turn out just fine anyway..

Hope that helps a little.
Sorry to ramble.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Edith said...

Hi, i love the way you frost these cupcakes. Can you teach me how. What piping tip did you use? Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home